Friday, October 18, 2013

family rituals...

Happy Friday!  Who's ready for a weekend with zero plans?! This girl.  
Anyway...

This morning I read this blog post and it has inspired me and truly motivated me to be very aware of the little things we do on a daily basis that may actually be more meaningful than any of us realize.  Some days can feel so repetitive.  But what I don't realize is that those things are probably the things that Jackson loves the most.  

Because I'm such a list maker, here's a list of things/moments that happen on a daily basis that I don't want to forget.  As repetitive and "no big deal" as they seem, I think that we'll be thankful later to look back at them...
  • Jackson loves breakfast.  First thing.  Until recently, his most favorite breakfast of all time... mini muffins.  Blueberry mini muffins.  Only blueberry.  Now, the kid loves some cereal.  Except on the weekends. The weekends, Jackson and Mommy make oatmeal together and then share it. It is one of the things I most look forward to early on Saturday and Sunday mornings!

  • Todd gets Jackson up and ready for school every weekday morning. Most days I don't even get to see Jackson in the morning. At all.  (I won't get myself started on this sensitive subject!) However, Jackson likes to take dinosaurs with him wherever he goes.  Because of this, Daddy has to talk him into leaving them at home when they head to school.  I love when I walk home to find a dinosaur or two welcoming me at the door.  


  • Evening bath time.  Both of us help with that.  And almost every single time, I'll take a photo of Jackson playing and post it on Instagram.  Tagging it with #dailybathtubphoto or even sometimes #dailybathtubvideo if I felt like a video should be included.  That kid loves.the.tub.
  • Bedtime.  We normally take turns each night putting him to bed.  He gets to help us pick 3-4 stories and then gives the other parent (the one not putting him to bed) hugs and kisses.  Todd tells him to "wrap it up!" and Jackson will squeeze our necks.  Gives us kisses and says, "luh you." Once stories are over and lights are out (with exception of his globe nightlight and "ceritops" nightlight of course), he gets to look at a book in bed.  Usually a truck or dinosaur book.







He's kind of my favorite little person right now.  Being a parent is tough sometimes but it is the best job in the world. I hope he likes us as much as we like him! 

(all photos courtesy of my trusty ((and most favorite)) iPhone)

0 comments:

Post a Comment