Friday, February 7, 2014

healthy(ish) blueberry muffins




 

While going through my blog reader, I came across this delicious-sounding recipe. Since Jackson's favorite breakfast consists of blueberry muffins, I knew I had to give this a try!

To make them, here's what you'll need:
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups oatmeal
  • 2/3 cup sugar 
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups plain greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup milk (we use skim)
  • 2 eggs lightly beaten
  • 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries

  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  While the oven is warming up, start out with mixing all of the dry ingredients together.

2. Next, combine all of the wet ingredients together but save the blueberries for later.


3. Combine the wet and dry ingredients together in the mixer.  Once all is mixed well, carefully add in your blueberries.  Make sure to mix carefully as to not smash all of the blueberries!


4. Spray muffin tins liberally or use paper liners.  II then filled each muffin hole (what are the holes in the muffin tin called? LOL) at least half-way.  The batter was much thicker than I had expected it to be but out of this batch I was able to make 24 muffins.


5. Bake the muffins for (at least) 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


6. Remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool

7. Take a million pictures of them and try not to eat them all.


They were actually really delicious and the only thing I might try to change the next time is making them a tiny bit sweeter.  Todd thought maybe adding a little bit of honey would help and a friend suggested maybe trying to use blueberry greek yogurt in place of plain greek yogurt. I still have all of the ingredients left to make more so I may have to try another round this weekend!  

For those that are interested, here is the nutritional information:

Per muffin:
110 calories
10g carbs
3g fat
4g protein
84mg sodium
7g sugar

Not too bad right?  I feel better about giving these to Jackson first thing in the morning compared to store-bought (but so delicious) mini muffins!!  I'll be sure to update if I change the recipe to make it a little sweeter.

Do you try new recipes and make them healthier? I'd love to hear some of your favorites so I can try them with my family!

1 comment:

  1. YUM. It is not helping that I am starving right now and reading this! Good job Mama!

    ReplyDelete